Kybella™ is used to treat a commonly undertreated aesthetic condition known as submental fat, or in common terms the “double chin” area.
Submental fullness can impact a broad range of adults but is not limited to people who are overweight. It can affect men and women of average weight and is typically caused by genetics, aging, and weight gain, which is often resistant to diet and exercise. The active ingredient in Kybella™ is deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat. When it is injected into the fat beneath your chin, the solution causes the destruction of fat cells, causing the cells to be destroyed and unable to store or accumulate fat.
The Kybella™ procedure begins with a customized treatment plan determined by your provider. When you are called back for your appointment, the area will be thoroughly cleaned, and a marked template of injection points will be placed under the chin area. The area will then be iced for a series of minutes prior to the procedure to help with any discomfort. The Kybella™ medicine is then administered as an injection into the fat tissue in the submental area tailored to the treatment goals of the patient and their physician. Treatments are typically spaced no less than a month apart and may only be administered by a licensed provider. Many patients experience visible contouring of their chin profile in two to four treatment sessions. Up to 6 treatments may be administered per patient.
How long do Kybella™ results last?
- When injected into the fat under your chin, Kybella™ causes the destruction of fat cells. Once destroyed, those cells cannot store or accumulate fat. After the aesthetic response is achieved, retreatment with Kybella™ is not expected.
When will I see results?
- Kybella™ results are seen within 2-4 treatments, sometimes sooner.
How many people have been treated with Kybella™?
- Kybella™ has been the focus of a global clinical development program involving over 20 clinical studies with more than 2,600 patients worldwide, of which over 1,600 have been treated with Kybella™.
Can I get Kybella™ done the same day as other injectable procedures?
- Yes, you can receive Kybella™ the same day you receive other injectable treatments such as Botox, Voluma XC and Restylane Silk. We do prefer, however, to treat after any laser procedures.
How does Kybella™ remove the fat in the treated area?
- The active ingredient in Kybella™ is deoxycholic acid, a naturally-occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat. When injected into the fat beneath your chin, Kybella™ causes the destruction of fat cells. Once destroyed, those cells cannot store or accumulate fat.
Is Kybella™ safe?
- Kybella™ has gone through over 20 clinical studies with more than 2,600 patients worlswide, of which over 1,600 have been treated with Kybella™. The production is highly controlled, quality-assured, and validated. The product contains no human or animal-derived substances.
Does it really matter who does my Kybella™?
- Kybella™ should be administered by a trained provider only. There are a number of side effects that may be experienced, only if injected improperly.
Will I experience any side effects from Kybella™?
- The safety profile of Kybella™ is well characterized. The most common side effects are swelling, bruising, pain, numbness, redness and areas of hardness around the treatment area.